When installing an irrigation system, there are many things to consider, such as what contractor to hire, where to place the pipes, and what kind of system to use. Generally, most homeowners typically use either traditional sprinkler or drip irrigation systems. If you need an irrigation solution, keep reading to learn about these systems and decide which benefits your residential or commercial property.
An underground irrigation system, or a sprinkler system, is the most common type for residential and commercial properties. An underground system uses large volumes of water across a wide area – ideal for large properties. The buried water lines ensure lawnmowers don’t damage them. Your system can be fully automated and easily used with timers.
However, the downside is that the sprinklers must be placed above ground to water your grass efficiently, which poses a hazard to lawn equipment and landscaping techniques.
Pros of Sprinkler Irrigation
- Provides excellent coverage: Sprinklers cover a lot of ground and are great for large spaces.
- Hidden underground: Unlike drip irrigation, sprinkler systems are buried underground and are protected against damage, animals, and Sun exposure.
- Spreads additives: Many sprinkler systems distribute liquid pesticides and fertilizers evenly over the soil.
Drip Irrigation Systems
A drip irrigation system delivers a specified amount of water to a small area. A professionally installed system should spray the water directly into the soil near the roots. Since it’s a relatively slow process, very little water is lost due to evaporation or runoff. A water meter connected to a drip irrigation system provides automatic watering with precise timing.
Pros of Drip Irrigation
- Reduces water waste: Drip irrigation systems are low to the ground and have small holes directly next to the plants. The water directly reaches the plant roots, minimizing runoff and evaporation.
- Cost-effective: Drip irrigation systems save you money on your utility bill by saving water.
- Prevents disease: Drip irrigation reduces mildew and other diseases that can develop on wet leaves because it drips directly into the soil.
- Reduces weed growth: When the water is precisely dripped to the soil around each plant, weeds are less likely to steal water from your plants.
Which System is Right for You?
Choosing the right irrigation system depends on the size of your landscape and the needs of your plants. While drip irrigation saves more water, it requires more maintenance and isn’t best for large lawns or gardens. Sprinkler systems may lose more water to run off and evaporate, but they can be automated to save time and water in hard-to-reach areas. If you’re unsure which system suits your property best, one of our professional landscapers at Sposato Irrigation can help!
Choose Sposato Irrigation
Sposato Irrigation is uniquely positioned to offer high-quality, affordable, and reliable irrigation services to homeowners and business owners in Sussex County, Milton, Lewes, Rehoboth Beach, Bethany Beach, Fenwick Island, Ocean View, Millsboro, Dagsboro, and Ocean City, MD. Thanks to our expertise, innovation and decades of professional experience, we can meet the needs of large properties and small gardens. To learn more about our irrigation installation, LED landscape lighting, and commercial irrigation maintenance services, contact us today. We can be reached at 302-645-4773. Also, check us out on Facebook and Twitter.